Who We Are
The Freshman Research Initiative (FRI) in the College of Natural Sciences (CNS) at UT Austin is the nation's first and largest program of its kind where first-year students experience the excitement of scientific discovery. Over 1000 students each year join one of 31 unique Research Streams that span the disciplines including astronomy, genetic engineering, DIY diagnostics, biodiversity, wine chemistry, drug discovery, robotics, math, physics, and more!
Learn more about FRI>>
What We’re Fundraising For
FRI students earn course credit while they conduct faculty-led research, interact with scientists, use state-of-the-art lab equipment and facilities, develop technological innovations, present their work at national conferences and publish papers in peer-reviewed science journals.
With your help, we can continue to give our diverse group of undergraduate students access to hands-on scientific experiences, community, and mentorship that will enrich their academic career and beyond.
Your gift can provide:
- research equipment and supplies for FRI laboratories,
- instructional and student support, and,
- summer fellowships and scholarships for undergraduates to be able to continue their research in between their spring and fall semester coursework.
FRI students participate in cutting-edge research, gain considerable lab experience, and garner a deep understanding of the scientific process through faculty and peer-to-peer mentorship.
Your support of FRI can help cultivate confident students who:
- can problem solve and think critically
- are better prepared to pursue graduate/professional school
- have built career readiness skills/competencies, and,
- are ready to take on tomorrow's challenges!