Who We Are
You’re the reason we’re here. Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin has a bold mission: to revolutionize how you, your friends and your neighbors get and stay healthy. We’re training your future doctors, accelerating research, collaborating with community partners, and providing care to improve health for all. And in the midst of COVID-19, our work is more important than ever.
The pandemic underscores the role Dell Medical School plays in the health of our community — and the power of your support. Gifts have made it possible for us to:
· Set up one of Austin’s first COVID-19 drive-thru testing operations and share the model with others.
· Reduce the virus’s spread by testing and contact tracing about 700 people out of an estimated 2,900 individuals experiencing homelessness in Austin.
· Support the health care providers on the front lines providing testing and treatment to Central Texans, including UT faculty and staff as the university reopened.
· Graduate the first class of doctors from UT Austin, 11 of whom are still caring for our community as Dell Med residents.
Dell Med remains hard at work with our clinical and community partners to help our city, advising Austin Public Health and government officials on public health strategy and collaborating with university leaders on how to keep students safe.
Your 40 for Forty gift of any size, combined with those from fellow Longhorns, will help Dell Med train physician leaders and care for those who need it most during this crisis and beyond.
What We’re Fundraising For
Our community and our students are Dell Medical School’s top priorities. Through innovative models of clinical care, medical education, research and community partnership, we are creating solutions to meet today’s health crisis and challenges while preparing for future needs.
Your gift of any size makes a difference, and we’re excited to announce how we’re amplifying the impact of your gift to two areas:
·Area of Greatest Need – Gifts of any size will support Dell Med’s efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 in vulnerable communities. JP’s Peace, Love & Happiness Foundation is matching gifts 1:1 until we reach $100,000 to support testing and treatment for those experiencing homelessness.
· Scholarships – At Dell Med, we’re preparing your future physician leaders to take on the next big challenges in health. Your gift will help us reach our goal of raising $100,000 in scholarship support to provide a year of full tuition for five Dell Med students in next year’s class. Once we reach 100 donors to any area of Dell Med, we will unlock $55,000 in scholarship funds from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation.
Your gift inspires our faculty, staff and students working to help people get and stay healthy. Your generosity furthers Dell Med’s efforts, including:
Slowing the spread of COVID-19
Without resources for housing and hygiene, community members experiencing homelessness are at high risk for getting and spreading COVID-19. Your gift to the area of greatest need will help us test vulnerable Central Texans for COVID-19 so we can catch and contain the virus before it spreads.
Educating your future doctors
Scholarships inspire students to embrace opportunities that strengthen our community and make them better doctors, like Dell Med’s new electives focused on telemedicine, global health and crisis response. And the impact of our students expands far beyond the classroom through volunteer placements at community clinics, local nonprofits and more. Your gift to scholarships allows students to be a part of health responses and solutions for our community rather than focusing on paying bills or future debt.
“Becoming a physician has been a dream of mine for a long time, but the journey is extensive and has many obstacles along the way. My scholarship alleviated some of the pressure from these external factors and allowed me to attend not only my first-choice medical school but the medical school that I know will form me into the best physician I can be.” – Safee-Hana Belbina, second-year student
These are just a few examples of how philanthropy makes an impact at Dell Med. Gifts of any size to any area accelerate our work in medical research, education, clinical care and community engagement that improve health in Central Texas and beyond. Thank you for supporting our students, school and community.